News

Tavistock's Crest

Most local historians can readily tell you that Tavistock was founded in 1848. Many can also attest to Tavistock’s date of incorporation as 1909. Tavistock’s Crest is not so well known. You might think that this story begins in 1848 or 1909. You would be wrong. Our story starts in January of 1949 when the Gazette ran an article that read .....

Five Generations

The Lemp Studio Collection photos are visual reminders of our past .... street scenes, businesses, schools, churches, families and so much more. Over the past years much work has been done identifying places and people. It's always exciting when someone says "That's my grandmother!" and one more photo is identified.

In this photo we have 5 generations .... Sidonia Sippel Yungblut, Annie Witzel Sippel, Christena Mahr Witzel, Hilda Yungblut Wettlaufer, and Sidonia Wilker Sippel.

Souvenir of Tavistock

This small 5 1/2” plate was an early donation to our collection. The wording reads

LUTHERN CHURCH, SEBASTOPOLE, AND
SOUVENIR OF TAVISTOCK, ONT.

The picture is a well-rendered drawing of Trinity Lutheran Church surrounded by maple leaves.

It doesn’t take an experienced curator to quickly note two interesting aspects.

"Sons of Tavistock" March

The Old Boys’ Reunion of 1930 was a huge undertaking in the history of Tavistock. Months and more months were spent planning the many events taking place during Old Home Week. Part of the preparations centered around “Sons of Tavistock”, the official march written especially for the reunion.

The Missing Link

Sometimes an item has more questions than answers. This “picture” was found in the Tavistock Men’s Club Hall in a standard-issue black wooden frame with a handwritten “circa 1917” note on the back. It was only when the frame was removed that we realized the “picture” was a “postcard”.

And then the questions started.

What’s the missing link? There had been a roadway from Shakespeare to Woodstock since the 1850’s.

Who has heard the terms “North Highway” and “South Highway”? This was new.

Wilker Homestead Razed

It was a grey day in South Easthope history on Friday, November 1 as the old Wilker homestead on the west side of Road 107 between Tavistock and Shakespeare was knocked down. The Andreas Wilker red brick two-and-a-half-storey home had been a landmark to travellers for the past 162 years. 

Lest We Forget

An exhibit honouring the courage and sacrifice of local men and women in all wars is currently on display at the museum. Open hours are Saturday, October 19 or Saturday, November 19 from 10 am - 1 pm. Special appointments are always possible by calling 519-655-2292 or 519-655-3342 or 519-655-9915.

Tavistock Fire Department 1911-2011

Tavistock Fire Department 1911 - © Lemp Studio Collection

To honour the 100th anniversary of the Tavistock Fire Department, the Tavistock and District Historical Society has undertaken a project to publish a history of the Tavistock Fire Department gleaned from the archives of the Tavistock Gazette, supplemented by articles from area newspapers including the Stratford Beacon Herald, Woodstock Sentinel Review and Kitchener-Waterloo Record and early photographs from the Lemp Studio Collection. 

Remembrance services honour the fallen

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them.” These words from the poem, “The Fallen”, by Laurence Binyon were recited by Legion secretary Nancy Kropf during the annual Remembrance Day service at the Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 518, on Sunday afternoon.

Pausing for two minutes of silence at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is a distinct observance that the nation pays in tribute to those “who gave their lives that freedom might prevail”. The day and hour corresponds with the ending of the First World War in 1918. Originally called Armistice Day, (Veteran’s Day in the U.S.) it was changed to “Remembrance Day”, a sacred trust of The Royal Canadian Legion, to ensure the memory of the sacrifice of those who fell.

Pages